Sacramento dentist gives adult patients straighter smiles with discreet orthodontic braces alternative
Have you found yourself wishing you could have a straighter smile, but have always avoided orthodontic treatment because of the thought of traditional metal braces? We hear that a lot and the good news is, we have an answer. At Adams Dental Associates, Drs. Kosta and Kristen Adams offer patients Invisalign. Invisalign is an alternative to traditional orthodontic braces that uses invisible aligners instead of brackets and wires. If you are in the Sacramento area, we invite you to call us at (916) 999-1302 to learn about the many benefits of Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a method of straightening teeth that uses a series of clear plastic trays. The trays are made from comfortable, BPA-free plastic and are custom designed for your mouth in order to move teeth into a more desirable position.
One of the things patients love most about Invisalign is that the trays are removable. While it’s important to wear them a minimum of 20 hours each day, patients can feel free to remove the trays for eating and oral hygiene. Every few weeks patients will swap out the aligners for a new set and admire how their teeth are gradually becoming straighter.
Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces
Does Invisalign work as well as traditional braces? In most cases, the answer is, “yes!” While there are still some cases of misalignment that will be better suited for traditional braces, Invisalign can correct many orthodontic problems. In fact, patients often prefer Invisalign for the following reasons:
- You can enjoy all our favorite foods. Getting traditional braces means having to avoid a lot of the foods your love. This simply isn’t the case with Invisalign. Because the trays are removable, you can take them off to eat what you love, just make sure to clean your teeth well before replacing the trays. So, go ahead, indulge in that popcorn!
- Treatment is discreet. Because the aligners are made from clear plastic, they are virtually invisible. Many people will not even notice that you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Improved oral health during treatment. Cleaning around metal brackets and wires can be tricky, leading to an increase in decay during traditional orthodontic treatment. Because you can remove the clear aligners, you can maintain good oral hygiene.
- Faster results. Invisalign straightening is generally much faster than traditional braces. There are fewer visits to the office during treatment and the entire process is usually completed in 12-18 months.
Candidates for Invisalign
As Invisalign begins to rise in popularity, more and more people are asking, “Is Invisalign right for me?” While the treatment has become recognized as one of the fastest and most comfortable ways to fix orthodontic issues, it isn’t for everyone. While the only way to determine if you are a candidate for Invisalign is to schedule a consultation at our Sacramento office, you can ask yourself the following questions to help decide.
- How severe is my issue?
This is the biggest factor in determining your candidacy for Invisalign. Certain issues such as large overbites may just be too severe for Invisalign. In most cases, Invisalign can correct mild to moderate issues such as crowding, gaps, overbite, underbite, and crossbite.
- How old am I?
Children and young teenagers are typically not the best candidates for Invisalign. This is because teeth are still growing and moving. However, older teenagers and adults make great candidates for Invisalign.
- Are you committed to wearing the aligners?
The allure of removable, invisible aligners is what draws many people to Invisalign, but patients need to be prepared to wear the trays 20-22 hours each day. Additionally, patients need to be aware that retainer will be needed following treatment. Without compliance, the treatment will not be as effective, and teeth can shift back into their previous location.
If you are a teen or adult who believes that you are a good candidate for Invisalign, only an evaluation by a trained professional can determine if Invisalign is the best method of orthodontic treatment for you. To schedule your assessment with Drs. Kosta or Kirsten Adams, please call our Sacramento office today at (916) 999-1302. Your path to a straighter smile begins at Adams Dental Associates.