Sacramento, CA dental practice offers tips for post-operative care following tooth extractions
Maintaining the health of your natural teeth is your dentist’s goal. Unfortunately, trauma, decay, and problems occur that can lead to the need for tooth extractions. Dental extractions help maintain the overall health of the mouth by removing damaged or infected teeth to keep them from causing additional issues. In Sacramento, CA, Dr. Kosta Adams and Dr. Kristen Adams perform tooth extractions, when necessary, as part of general dentistry care.
There are times when extractions are the best option. Extractions are performed when necessary to maintain the health of the teeth, gums, and oral cavity. Many cases can be performed by our dentists, so you have the comfort of seeing a familiar face. The most common reasons for extractions include:
- Wisdom teeth
- Badly decayed or infected teeth
- A tooth that is broken below the gumline
- A failed root canal
Request an Appointment
Dental extractions post-operative care
After your extractions, you will be given post-operative instructions. For the first 24 hours, it is important to care for the area gently to avoid dislodging the clot or disturbing the site. It is important to keep your mouth clean to avoid the spread of bacteria and to prevent an infection. Some after-care tips include:
- Take painkillers as prescribed by your dentist.
- Bite down on gauze to slow bleeding and help a clot form at the extraction site.
- Apply ice to your face to minimize swelling.
- Rest and limit activity following the procedure.
- Do not rinse or spit forcefully for 72 hours to avoid dislodging the clot.
- Do not drink using a straw for at least 72 hours.
- Eat soft foods at first. As the area heals, slowly add in solid foods.
- Keep your head propped up when lying down.
- Brush and floss your teeth as normal but avoid the extraction site.
The team at Adams Dental Associates strives to maintain the health and beauty of your smile. Schedule your appointment today. Call (916) 999-1302.