Sacramento, CA dental practice offers tips for post-operative care following tooth extractionsBy Kosta J. Adams, DDS, MAGD, FICOI / Kristen J. Adams - Dentist Sacramento
There are times when extractions are the best option. Extractions are performed when necessary to maintain the health of the teeth, gums, and oral cavity. Many cases can be performed by our dentists, so you have the comfort of seeing a familiar face. The most common reasons for extractions include:
- Wisdom teeth
- Badly decayed or infected teeth
- A tooth that is broken below the gumline
- A failed root canal
Dental extractions post-operative careAfter your extractions, you will be given post-operative instructions. For the first 24 hours, it is important to care for the area gently to avoid dislodging the clot or disturbing the site. It is important to keep your mouth clean to avoid the spread of bacteria and to prevent an infection. Some after-care tips include:
- Take painkillers as prescribed by your dentist.
- Bite down on gauze to slow bleeding and help a clot form at the extraction site.
- Apply ice to your face to minimize swelling.
- Rest and limit activity following the procedure.
- Do not rinse or spit forcefully for 72 hours to avoid dislodging the clot.
- Do not drink using a straw for at least 72 hours.
- Eat soft foods at first. As the area heals, slowly add in solid foods.
- Keep your head propped up when lying down.
- Brush and floss your teeth as normal but avoid the extraction site.
The team at Adams Dental Associates strives to maintain the health and beauty of your smile. Schedule your appointment today. Call (916) 999-1302.
- Sacramento, CA dental practice offers tips for post-operative care following tooth extractions
- Sacramento patients benefit from latest approaches in general dentistry services
- Sacramento area dentists describe the importance of daily dental care
- Sacramento area patients can obtain painless dental treatments
- Sacramento area dentist describes preventive dentistry
- Sacramento area dentist describes porcelain fillings
- Why Sacramento area patients often request tooth colored fillings
- Services provided by some of the best dentists in the 95825 area
- Sacramento area patients can enjoy general dentistry treatments from one of the top dentists in the community
Back To General Dentistry Page
Woke up with a horribly infected tooth on Friday morning. I had not established a relationship with a dentist since moving to Sacramento. Googled emergency dentists and was incredibly fortunate to find Dr. Adams listing. Called them on a Friday afternoon as a new patient and was seen within an hour!!! Two teeth had to be pulled. Dr Adams and Dr Kristen were awesome. I didn't feel a thing....teeth were out quickly and painlessly. Everyone there is incredibly sweet and caring. Everything is spotless and clean - could not have asked for a better experience. I have found my forever Dentist.
~ By Susan S.
They have cared for my teeth for 20+ years. Always warm and very trustworthy. I'd like to share my most recent visit, since it reflects the quality of care they have always provided. So my front tooth had a chipped bottom and my back tooth had a broken filling. First off, he fixed the broken filling without a problem. Next, Dr. Adams walked me through the options we had for the chipped tooth. I asked various questions to address my concerns. His explanations were comforting. For both my teeth issues, he gave me a full idea of what to expect. In the end, both teeth were cared for and function just fine now. No more worrying! I feel comfortable trusting him with caring for my teeth.
~ By Salvatore A.
Like always had a great experience with Dr Adams and Dr Adams. Had two fillings done and was in and out in just over an hour, I liked how they took the time to explain the whole procedure to me and answered all my questions about my teeth. I also enjoyed their good background music. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering all my billing questions and setting up my next appointment. See you guys next time!!
~ By Manuel G.
Sign Up For Newsletter
Dr. Adams is rated one of the top 2 Dentists in Sacramento by Dr. Ooogle (out of 370 plus Sacramento dentists)