Effective snoring treatment from Sacramento, CA dentistsPosted by Kosta J. Adams, DDS, MAGD, FICOI / Kristen J. Adams - Dentist Sacramento
Pillow talkSnoring is a sound created when the airway is partially blocked, causing the soft palate to vibrate. The uvula is a fleshy extension of the soft palate. It is intended to keep you from aspirating foods and beverages when upright, then drop out of the way when you sleep. However, nasal congestion, alcohol consumption, obesity, or enlarged tonsils or adenoids can reposition the uvula and trigger snoring.
Snoring has many nicknames, depending on where you live:
- Northeasterners “saw logs,” an appropriate term for our timber lot states.
- Southern snorers “cut gourds” or “call hogs.”
- If you “hit a knot” you are probably from New England, California, or Colorado.
- In the South Midlands from Ohio to Oklahoma, snorers “take two rows at a time” comparing the sound to a double amount of tilling equipment.
- If you plan to do some serious snoring in Massachusetts, you will be “raking up the coals.”
- Wisconsinites “grind gravel.”
- In honor of the noisily-boiled staple of Pennsylvania Dutch dishes, snorers in this region “cook turnips.”
- Across the country you might hear a variation of “rattle the shingles.”
When to seek snoring treatment from Sacramento, CA dentistsThese regional idioms are great fun, and occasional simple snoring is not generally a health threat. However, chronic, loud snoring can be an indication of a serious health concern called obstructive sleep apnea. OSA blocks the airway, resulting in shallow breathing or full cessation of respiration, potentially dozens of times per hour. OSA places tremendous strain on the cardiovascular system and interrupts sleep.
In many cases, snoring and OSA can be dramatically improved with a discreet oral appliance. This splint, about the size of an orthodontic retainer, holds the airway open by positioning the jaw slightly forward with teeth apart and tongue depressed.
Would you like to learn more about dental treatment for snoring? Call Adams Dental Associates in Sacramento, CA at (916) 999-1302.
Adams Dental Associates in Sacramento, CA considers patients’ smiles as their first priority, and offers a range of services that are geared towards making patients feel attractive and confident. Dr. Kosta Adams has decades of experience and expertise. Dr. Kristen Adams has enhanced the practice with her expertise in restorative, periodontal, cosmetic and implant dentistry.
- Effective snoring treatment from Sacramento, CA dentists
- Couples seek snoring treatment from Sacramento, CA dentists
- Sacramento patients reveal whiter smiles with professional dental stain removal
- Obstructive sleep apnea can be treated with snore and sleep solutions from your Sacramento dentist
- Sacramento area patients ask about sleep apnea treatment
Back to Snore and Sleep Dentistry Page
Woke up with a horribly infected tooth on Friday morning. I had not established a relationship with a dentist since moving to Sacramento. Googled emergency dentists and was incredibly fortunate to find Dr. Adams listing. Called them on a Friday afternoon as a new patient and was seen within an hour!!! Two teeth had to be pulled. Dr Adams and Dr Kristen were awesome. I didn't feel a thing....teeth were out quickly and painlessly. Everyone there is incredibly sweet and caring. Everything is spotless and clean - could not have asked for a better experience. I have found my forever Dentist.
~ By Susan S.
They have cared for my teeth for 20+ years. Always warm and very trustworthy. I'd like to share my most recent visit, since it reflects the quality of care they have always provided. So my front tooth had a chipped bottom and my back tooth had a broken filling. First off, he fixed the broken filling without a problem. Next, Dr. Adams walked me through the options we had for the chipped tooth. I asked various questions to address my concerns. His explanations were comforting. For both my teeth issues, he gave me a full idea of what to expect. In the end, both teeth were cared for and function just fine now. No more worrying! I feel comfortable trusting him with caring for my teeth.
~ By Salvatore A.
Like always had a great experience with Dr Adams and Dr Adams. Had two fillings done and was in and out in just over an hour, I liked how they took the time to explain the whole procedure to me and answered all my questions about my teeth. I also enjoyed their good background music. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering all my billing questions and setting up my next appointment. See you guys next time!!
~ By Manuel G.
Sign Up For Newsletter
Dr. Adams is rated one of the top 2 Dentists in Sacramento by Dr. Ooogle (out of 370 plus Sacramento dentists)